Tuesday 18 October 2011

The novel is finished

My 'new' novel, on my iPhone, just now
Well, I say it's finished. What I mean is that I have reached what I think might be an acceptable first draft to send to my agent. Using Scrivener, I collated the 142,000 words into a PDF document and emailed it to myself. Here it is, on my iPhone. I can now download it onto my iPad, with which I will attempt to read the thing as quickly as possible, like an excited reader (I know. I know. Look this is theoretical exercise, OK?) to see if it hangs together. And, barring any glaring problems that require a last minute slog of re-writing, I will send it to my agent. He will then read it on his iPad and at some point in the future ring me to tell me what he thinks of it. And then I will either pretend I haven't spent several years of my life writing it (if he reacts in that non-committal, have-you-got-anything-else-? kind of way), or I will spend another three months doing the 'tweaks' he suggests before it is submitted and I anxiously wait to see whether Jonathan Cape want to publish it. Hmm, I've just made myself feel slightly unwell.

3 comments:

East Runton Holiday Park said...

Good luck with the next stage(s)!

Steve Appleton, said...

Great news!!

Georgie Kuna said...

mark, great news, and the geekiest "I love my gadgets" blog post I have ever read! fingers crossed etc....you'll be fine....start the next one....