Wednesday 19 January 2011

Podcast

Scratch Magazine from 1990, the first time I interviewed
Mark E Smith. See below for the story…

Here is the podcast of the radio interview I did at Future Radio last week.
http://www.futureradio.co.uk/audio/by/title/7_ages_of_man_-_mark_wernham
It's about an hour long, but there's lots of good music to listen to, including the Fall's A Past Gone Mad, which was produced by an old friend of mine, Rex Sargeant. Rex died in December, but he'll not be forgotten.


Listening to A Past Gone Mad just now reminded me yet again why I love the Fall so much. This album was released in 1993. I bought it in 1993. I've listened to it many times over the years. But it's only now, 18 years later that I finally caught the lyrics. Of course, the internet helps. I think the lyrics to this song are worth sharing:

Serial killers were always a bore in my book,
Along with Spangles and soccer books.
Rid us of old fogeys
Scuttling and swerving over the roads
Comma,
Kids in pubs.
Passable
Why is Pete Gabriel always following us?
And before the grub comes a moralist,
Dissonance of infotainment
A past gone mad!
Alive and well, he is on all channels
[Kiki Dee]
Dwelling in craven environment
If I ever end up like Ian McShane slit my throat with a kitchen tool
And if I ever end up like U2 slit my throat with a garden vegetable

The picture above is of my desk, just now, featuring a copy of Scratch magazine, the first magazine I edited back in 1989 with my pal James Clayton. It was the first time I interviewed Mark E Smith, and with me was Simon Couzens, who took the cover picture. We met him in a pub in west London where I got hammered trying to keep up with MES. I drank Guinness. I'm hoping one day Simon digs out the negs of this session that are currently in his loft, I'm sure there are some corking shots in there.

No comments: