Wednesday 1 December 2010

Technology and poetry in schools


I am about to go to talk to a classroom of teachers about the application of technology in the teaching of poetry in schools. They're about to launch into a central government-backed pilot project where they will be teamed up with a poet in order to investigate new ways of engaging kids with poetry, and technology is one of the routes the project is exploring. I'm really looking forward to sharing some ideas with them, and seeing what they think about creative writing in schools.

I was taught poetry in school via a blue book with line-by-line dissection of the correct meaning of the poem as delivered by our English master. And you can tell by the fact that we called our teachers masters exactly what kind of school I went to. I remember I liked Sylvia Plath and hated John Betjeman, which was about the polar opposite of what the teacher and everyone else thought. And we didn't have no computers, neither.

By the way, the picture is the recently auctioned Apple I computer, one of 200 made in a garage by Steves Jobs and Wozniakin 1976. Back then it sold for a fairly eye-watering $666.66 (oh those guys and their devilish humour!). The model above sold for £133,250 a few weeks ago.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I was one of those teachers. Enjoyed your talk, thanks!

Mark Wernham said...

Thanks Nikki. I assume it was you who told us about prezi?

Unknown said...

Yes that was me! Have you been playing with it?